Hunters Wiki may receive some form of compensation from the links on this page, at no extra charge to you. Learn more.
AR scopes are considered essential for better shooting and overall user experience with rifles. Not quite popular a few years ago, AR scopes got their fame by the fact that they help improve basic shooting variables. So what are scopes and what do they do?
A scope is a short form of “telescopic sight” – which as the name implies, magnifies and clarifies the target for better shots. They help increase accuracy and range mainly. To keep it simple, let’s just call it the cream to your coffee (if you’re a fan of it).
Say you decide to get an AR scope for your rifle but a quick search confuses you as to what the best rifle scope mount would be. The mount you use is critical, as it is the link between your rifle and your scope. But don’t worry, we got you covered.
7 Best AR Scope Mounts to Buy
This article will help you choose the Best Scope Mounts for AR 15, keeping in mind the two main types of rifle scope mounts, One-Piece and Two-Piece, so that you can enjoy better shooting next time you use your rifle with a scope.
1- Vortex Optics Sport Cantilever Mounts – The Best AR Scope Mounts
- Use this cantilever mount for mounting 30 mm telescopic...
- The 2-inch offset of this cantilever mount positions the...
- The cantilever ring mount positions the center of the...
- Aluminum construction
The Vortex Optics Sport Cantilever Mounts come in two options: 30 mm mount with 2-inch offset, and the 1-inch mount with 2 inches offset. It can be used to mount scopes on flattop rifle styles.
The Vortex has a minimalistic design and comes in black. It’s made of aluminum and weighs 6.75 ounces. Overall length is 5.89 inches (149.81 mm). It positions the center of the scope tube at a height of 1.59 inches (40.39 mm) from the base. Distance between the rings is 2.52 inches (64 mm). It’s a fixed scope mount with Torx screws.
The mount is easy to install; one can be up and running in a few hours. Versatile, as it allows for installation with many different ARs and scopes, which makes it easy to change in case you have more equipment to use it on.
Essentially known for its performance, the Vortex mount is quite robust and sturdy. Fits well on the base and delivers maximum efficiency. Customer reviews show that the screws don’t lose their place and hold zero after hundreds of rounds and/or long periods of time. It is also known for its durability.
- Inexpensive option with great quality
- Easy installation
- Reliability, versatility and efficient ergonomics are the few key traits of the mount.
- Some customers argue that the lack of being a quick detach is its biggest flaw. Other than that, it’s a great product.
All in all the best option for an inexpensive AR scope mount, especially for flattop rifle styles.
Do you prefer Red Dot Scopes? Read The 10 Best Red Dots
2- Burris P.E.P.R. 1-Inch Mount – Quick Detach Mount for AR with Picatinny Tops
- Material Type: Aluminum
- Sport Type: Hunting
- Product Possess High Durability
- Made Of High Quality Materials
Another one of the most well-known scope mounts is from Burris. The AR-P.E.P.R. mount is one of the best scope mounts for ARs. The basic template for it is simple with a lot of variety for customization in rings and bases trimmed to the customer’s needs. It can mount on both Weaver and Picatinny styles. The 410344 model is a 1-inch quick detach mount with Picatinny ring tops.
Modern design. The mount comes in matte black and is made from aluminum and weighs 8.3 ounces. The distance of the start of one ring to the end of the second is 4.15 inches (105.41 mm) and the distance between rings is 2.15 inches (54.61 mm).
The Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mounts are known to be a solution for all rings and bases. The mount has a 2 inch forward positioning for the scope, which leads to proper eye relief and shooting. The customization allows for various changes in accordance to needs such as sporting, hunting, tactical, etc. The quick detach option not only helps achieve quick mounting on other rifles while holding zero on every switch, but also helps switch between short and long range configurations.
The AR-P.E.P.R. mount is known for heavy duty performance. The product is long lasting and delivers great performance. It was made keeping in mind the potential mounting switches. It is also used by duty officers, which shows the efficiency and ability of the mount.
- This mount is considered the best 30 mm scope mount for ARs.
- It offers customization with heavy-duty performance, making it an ideal choice for any type of shooter.
- The main issue for the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mounts is the price, which starts low but increases with every add-on, making it pricey for most consumers.
- Secondly, the mounts are heavier than the competition.
If you can afford the price, this is the best available for option an AR.
Don’t know how to mount a scope? Here’s your guide!
3- Hammers One Piece Offset QD Scope Mount
- Install in seconds with finger adjustable quick release cam...
- Offset design for better eye relief position
- Works with both 30mm and 1inch main tube rifle scopes
- Machined from aircraft grade aluminum alloy
Hammers is an optic company that has a wide range of different optic products. One of them is their One Piece Offset QD Scope Mount. It is one of the AR mounts that is one the lighter side of price while providing great quality.
It has a simple design and comes in matte black. Its made from extruded aluminum alloy and weighs 8 ounces. Overall length is 5.30 inches (134.62 mm). Distance between rings is 2.52 inches (64 mm). It’s a quick detach with cam locks for Picatinny rails.
The scope is very basic in its function. The cam locks are quick release, making it easy to adjust on the go. The offset ring helps mount different scopes allowing proper eye relief. It comes with an extra rail for accessory attachment.
Although this is a very basic one piece mount, it is durable and robust to use. The quick release helps hold zero and makes it a switchable mount piece for ARs.
- The Hammers mount is a very simple and basic mount that helps fulfill its purpose. The extra rail that comes out of the box is a nice bonus for a mount in such a price.
- The only con is the lack of customization for the mount.
Simple, effective and does its job without any extra traits, a nice budget scope mount for many.
4- American Defense AD-RECON STD Riflescope Optic Mount
- Does not require proprietary tools for adjustment
- Can be adjusted with your finger or a flat blade screwdriver
- Lever can be configured to lock to the front or the rear
- Superior clamping surface to insure maximum rail engagement
A product of American Defense MFG., the AD-RECON mount is a worthy inclusion on this list. American Defense MFG. offers various options in its catalogue to help you get the option that best suits you.
It has a modern, stylish design. Comes in various colours; something that could be of importance to some users with custom gun skins. It’s made from aluminum with an anodized finish and weighs 8.4 ounces. The 30 mm option has different models, but dimensions of all are almost the same. It can be used both with and without a riser, depending on what you require.
It features the Patented QD Auto Lock™ and with its straight forward mechanism it allows the user to adjust the scope without the need to use proprietary tools; they can simply fit the scope using a flat blade screwdriver or even with a finger. The scope mount fastens firmly to the rail ensuring optimal engagement with the firearm and on top of that the lever locks to the front or the rear according to the user’s needs. The length of the cantilever provides a comfortable exit pupil and good eye relief to prevent the user from getting a scope bite.
The AD-RECON mounts are known for being a tactical-oriented mount option, making it a worthy scope mount for flattop AR 15 scopes. It’s known to have superior clamping power to help hold zero and switch between different scopes with ease due to the Patented QD Auto Lock™ lever system.
- One of the most commendable qualities of the American Defense AD-RECON is that the scope rings on the structure can be taken out completely with a screw and be placed again with the scope in place: an easy to install mount that has great clamping power. Another good thing is the lifetime warranty that American Defense offers making it quite a durable scope mount option.
- Very expensive for the features it offers.
A mount that offers the best clamping power but at a hefty price. The lifetime warranty is sure to put some users at ease even for such a price tag.
TIP! What do Numbers Mean on a Rifle Scope?
5- Nikon P-SERIES Riflescope Mounts
- The BDC 600 reticle offers Shooters unique open circle...
- One inch body tube
- Spring loaded instant zero resets turrets
- Elevated windage and elevation turrets
Most famously known for their digital cameras for years, Nikon is a name we can easily trust in the optic business. It’s one of the companies that is evolving and adapting to the changing times. For riflescope mounts, the P-SERIES has 4 mount options, where our reviewed product is the P-TACTICAL mount for 1-inch tubes.
It’s a 2 piece design that comes in black or “dark earth” colours. It has a lightweight aluminum construction and weighs 6.1 ounces.
The reversible 2-piece design provides extreme mounting flexibility. It allows proper mounting height and proper fore-aft positioning for proper shooting technique with comfortable eye relief. It is also reversible for ultra-compact scopes. It fits all flattop Picatinny rails
The 2-piece design helps in versatility for different scopes. The scope holds zero even with the two pieces. They’re precise and strong even with the lightweight which makes it a tough competitor for other one-piece mounts.
- 2-piece design that is reversible and gives many switching options while working as other scope mounts. It’s lightweight and low in price.
- Some people prefer one-piece mounts for sturdy shooting.
A nice customizable option that has its specific users. However, search engine autocompletes show fitting issues on some ARs.
6- UTG 1″/2PCs Med Pro LE Grade Picatinny QD Rings: 22mm Wide
- 30-millimeter SWAT 3-12X44 IE tactical range estimating...
- 30-Millimeter tube built on True Strength Platform: sealed...
- Best in class multi emerald coated lenses; integrated angled...
- Special circuit and housing design for uninterrupted...
The Sister company of the decades-old Leapers company, UTG has a very wide variety in mount sizes. Our product is a 1-inch option. Another 2-piece on our list, the mount is made specifically for Picatinny rails.
Good looking design. Black matte finish colour. It is made from aluminum alloy with anodized finish and weighs 6.4 ounces. 15 mm saddle height and 22 mm ring width.
Robust and user-friendly ergonomic quick detach lever locks. This allows mounting on all Picatinny rails. It has only 4 screws for mounting, which make it very easy to use. It fits up to 55 mm objective diameter scopes.
The 2-piece design delivers great performance. It keeps zero even while being so lightweight. This is due to the strong, durable construction of the mount. Tested in extreme conditions and approved by field experts and law enforcement personnel; a good 2-piece option even for tactical purposes.
- Price is great, making it the best budget scope mount in 2-piece designs.
- Medium profile of the mount might be limiting for some. Lacks customization in the same model; meaning that if you want more options, you’ll have to buy new rings.
Best 2-piece design that is simple, straightforward and gives maximum performance.
SEE ALSO: What Scope Do I Need for 300 Yards?
There are a number of best ar scope mounts out there that fit all types of users, their needs and their budget. Out of all the types of rifle scope mounts we’ve reviewed in this article, the top two are the most recommended. Both the Vortex Optics Sport Cantilever 30mm Mount and the Burris 410341 AR PEPR 30-mm Scope Mount are high-performing, premium quality scope mounts and come with great customizability.
Before you buy your new ar scope mount, make a note of what your rifle requires specifically. Here’s a guide on what to consider while buying a rifle scope. That will ensure that you buy the right product and don’t waste your hard-earned money. When the mount is correct, it helps you make the best use of your ar scope as well.